We rate Proactiv Acne System a C
Proactiv 3 step acne treatment system consists of a cleanser, a toner, and a repairing lotion. These three products are the base package, and then Proactiv will sell you an additional moisturizer or oil remover if you desire. The active ingredient in all three of the products is Benzoyl Peroxide. Read more information on the dangers of Benzoyl Peroxide, or benzoyl peroxide links to cancer.
We started off reading up on Proactiv before we even used it. There are lots of complaints from people who claim that their acne got better, but then shortly after got much worse. There are also lots of complaints saying that people’s skin dried out way too much to continue using it. Lastly, the other common complaint was that the acne seemed to get more irritated, and turned bright red and was more noticeable than it was BEFORE even starting the product. Overall, we saw about 10 complaints to every 2 positive responses. We started to catch on to the fact, that Proactiv’s HUGE advertising budget is intended to just bulldoze all the bad complaints out of the way. It seems to be working, because a LOT of people have tried this product.
Here are some of the Big Dangers with Benzoyl Peroxide you might not know about… pretty risky, considering the fact that it is no huge help in removing the acne in the first place. The risk outweighs the reward by far.
- the FDA changed its status in 1995 from Category I (safe) to Category III (safety unknown)
- It causes Free Radicals in the skin, just like unprotected time in the sun
- There are links to cancer in the use on mice
- The free radicals slow down the healing process of skin, so the redness and sores of acne take LONGER to heal
- It drys and irritates the skin, often times making acne look worse or become more painful